[Dixielandjazz] Answer to the Million Dollar Question

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:50:47 EDT

--part1_2d.2056be8d.2a6859f7_boundary

In a message dated 7/18/02 12:13:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

> Cooke
>
>     You'll get no flack from me, Pat!  I'm one of the lucky ones (Beebe is
> another) who got to play with the inimitable Jimmy Johnson, a black bass
> player here in Chicago who played nothing else but fender and sounded so
> good that every other bassist should so aspire!  Of course, having JJ's
> talent would greatly enhance you, not to mention his strings.
>
>     But I know what I heard, and Jim Beebe will back me up.  JJ was the
> best, and with a smile no one could ever resist!  He travelled with The
> Traniers.  He worked with Louie--and turned down an offer to go with Louis'
> come-back band in the 50's:  Aw, man, this cat is done, he ain't goin
> nowhere!  Yeah.  And I coulda bought Xerox at two bucks...

   We should mention, Charlie, that Jimmy Johnson had quite a jazz history.
He grew up with MIles Davis and played accoustic bass with MIles, Clifford
Brown and a host of others before joining the Treniers.  He was in Vegas at
one point with the Treniers who had become a top Club act.  They were
appearing on the bill with Louis Armstrong and Louis's bass man got sick.
So, Jimmy played with both Louis and the Treniers for several weeks.  Louis
and Trummy Young begged him to go with them but he was loyal to the Treniers.
He later went with Bob Scobey for many years and then settled in Chicago and
worked with a number of groups there.

Jimmy was playing with my group at the Lacrosse, Wis Jazz Fest.  Jim Parker,
who put on Jazz events in Decatur, IL for years came up to me and said I
really want your group to come to Decatur but I just don't like that electric
bass, can you bring a regular bass player.  I said that of course, I would
not dump Jimmy and bring someone else and so I would pass on his interest in
my group.  I suggested that he close his eyes and just listen to what he was
playing.  Anyway, a few years later Parker apologized to me and admitted that
he was totally wrong about Jimmy Johnson.

Jimmy toyed with the idea of getting back on the accoustic bass, he had
several in his apartment. But he never did.  I wonder what happened to his
Fender.  It had some value as being one of the first and he had turned ddown
offers for it.

> wish to hell I had him back.  JJ died a few years back, still smilin', as
> well he should!
>
> sentimentally,
> Charlie

    Yeah, musicians like that are to be treasured and remembered.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_2d.2056be8d.2a6859f7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/18/02 12:13:29 AM Central Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Cooke<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You'll get no flack from me, Pat!&nbsp; I'm one of the lucky ones (Beebe is<BR>
another) who got to play with the inimitable Jimmy Johnson, a black bass<BR>
player here in Chicago who played nothing else but fender and sounded so<BR>
good that every other bassist should so aspire!&nbsp; Of course, having JJ's<BR>
talent would greatly enhance you, not to mention his strings.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But I know what I heard, and Jim Beebe will back me up.&nbsp; JJ was the<BR>
best, and with a smile no one could ever resist!&nbsp; He travelled with The<BR>
Traniers.&nbsp; He worked with Louie--and turned down an offer to go with Louis'<BR>
come-back band in the 50's:&nbsp; Aw, man, this cat is done, he ain't goin<BR>
nowhere!&nbsp; Yeah.&nbsp; And I coulda bought Xerox at two bucks...</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; We should mention, Charlie, that Jimmy Johnson had quite a jazz history.&nbsp; He grew up with MIles Davis and played accoustic bass with MIles, Clifford Brown and a host of others before joining the Treniers.&nbsp; He was in Vegas at one point with the Treniers who had become a top Club act.&nbsp; They were appearing on the bill with Louis Armstrong and Louis's bass man got sick.&nbsp; So, Jimmy played with both Louis and the Treniers for several weeks.&nbsp; Louis and Trummy Young begged him to go with them but he was loyal to the Treniers. He later went with Bob Scobey for many years and then settled in Chicago and worked with a number of groups there.<BR>
<BR>
Jimmy was playing with my group at the Lacrosse, Wis Jazz Fest.&nbsp; Jim Parker, who put on Jazz events in Decatur, IL for years came up to me and said I really want your group to come to Decatur but I just don't like that electric bass, can you bring a regular bass player.&nbsp; I said that of course, I would not dump Jimmy and bring someone else and so I would pass on his interest in my group.&nbsp; I suggested that he close his eyes and just listen to what he was playing.&nbsp; Anyway, a few years later Parker apologized to me and admitted that he was totally wrong about Jimmy Johnson.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Jimmy toyed with the idea of getting back on the accoustic bass, he had several in his apartment. But he never did.&nbsp; I wonder what happened to his Fender.&nbsp; It had some value as being one of the first and he had turned ddown offers for it.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">wish to hell I had him back.&nbsp; JJ died a few years back, still smilin', as<BR>
well he should!<BR>
<BR>
sentimentally, <BR>
Charli</BLOCKQUOTE>e</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yeah, musicians like that are to be treasured and remembered.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_2d.2056be8d.2a6859f7_boundary--