[Dixielandjazz] Was "slow start," now: Give yourselves more credit

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:19:04 -0500

Gordon's post, "A slow start..." summarizes the Million Dollar Q. thread and
is well worth the lengthy read (and comments). My one comment for now:

> Gordon <GWW174@aol.com> wrote
> (snippet) Are festival goers "serious jazz fans"...? Probably not - but, so
> what.  They are a paying audience who come for whatever reason and
> allows us all to enjoy festivals and provide money to the musicians.  For
> that, we are all grateful.  The fans come to be entertained - not to have a
> scholarly study of the music.

Listmates,
Many of you on this list reside at the high-end of "the bell curve of OKOM
knowledge." The average festival-goer lies in the middle of that knowledge
curve; in the big fat middle, where the money is -- "festival sustenance."
I wish I could wave a magic wand and bring all these people up to your
level, so they could rave about, and request, only the best musicians,
but I can only perform miracles on one person at a time. :)
It's so easy to criticize and make fun of the average Joe festival-goer --
or Listmate!!! ;-)  -- but it'd be nice, instead, if you could all
just pat yourselves on the back for knowing as much as you do.
Give yourselves more credit for years of study and experience.
And then...
Start writing letters to festival directors, flooding them with requests for
the best bands and musicians that are out there, looking for gigs.
A (very) general observation:
Politics and religion aside, you're all much more similar than dissimilar.
Love and hugs,
Nancy