[Dixielandjazz] A slow start to the Million Dollar Question

GWW174@aol.com GWW174@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:59:53 EDT

Thanks all...after a slow start some ideas started to flow after all...
everyone had some good thoughts... even those who admitted that they
could'n't figure it out.

No one mentioned an observation I have made of the "super-successfull" bands
and  allstar-class musicians.

That's the ability to work the audience - usually by "building" the tune AND
the set during the performance.  Usually a set starts out with a strong
opener - during the opening ensemble phase, everyone is good.  Then come the
solos.  The really great performers start their solos good and then manage to
build them even stronger during their first solo... and then even stronger if
the solo comes around to them again during the tune.  The closing ensemble is
always stronger than the first ensemble.  Each successive solo during the set
is usually stronger than their first solo.

The first ensemble shouldn't be a  "blow your brains out" type.  It must be
good to grab and keep the attention of the audience - but you need to leave
yourself some room to really JAM in the closing ensemble of the tune.. and
have room for more JAM for the  last tune of the set.

Now this whole thing repeats again throughout the set. The first tune is
strong... then the band will usually play a few "less strong" tunes... maybe
even a ballad or two... then about the 1/2 way point, they bring out stronger
tunes and stronger performances.

By the time the end of the set comes, they have the audience in their
hands... crying for more.  If they have worked it right they reach the apex
of their collective and individual performing abilities right at the moment
their time is up and they have to quit...

To quote someone famous (who I can't remember), "always leave them wanting
more"... or sometimes re-stated as "quit while you are ahead".

Am I "all wet"  Do the really successful and great bands consciously know
that they are doing this? - Personally, I think so.  Is it something learned
or is it instinctvie?

I have noticed this "set and tune building"  during several years listening
to those "really great bands and musicians" and comparing their performances
to the just "good" bands/musicians.

OTHER IDEAS
Someone else on the list made a great comment "seeing with your eyes" and the
visual experience.  Yes, I think that this is VERY important.  Why else come
to a festival when you can buy the records (I'm dating myself - should have
said CD's).  Hearing and SEEING the band makes for a total entertainment
impression and explains why a lot of people like OKOM at festivals but not
just listening to CD's.

Someone else commented that "good looks" is important.  This is not to say
all musicians have to have good looks to be successful... But a good
presentation (looks and/or personality and the appearnce of having fun) are
critical.  If you are up there playing and too concentrated on having the
most "perfect performance of your life",  the audience will see that and
react accordingly.

Are festival goers "serious jazz fans" who know the Coltains, Dodds,
Barbarians, etc.  Probably not - but, so what.  They are a paying audience
who come for whatever reason and allows us all to enjoy festivals and provide
money to the musicians.  For that, we are all grateful.  The fans come to be
entertained - not to have a scholarly study of the music.

Another point someone made is the Venue... which I would expand to include
the setting and environment.  Some bands are great in a small intimate venue
and bomb in a large venue.  Most festival directors know that you don't put a
4-piece intimate combo in an outdoor amplitheater or venue like freeway
gardens and expect them to hold the audience.  Likewise, a high-energy
powerful band (maybe like the old Black Dogs) might not be the best choice
for a wedding...a wake... or other similar event.  So venue and environment
are important.  Band directors/managers should think about this when
accepting the gig.

Bands are different when playing to a live audience vs. a recording studio.
My pet peeve is for bands to SKIP THE STUDIO and make MORE LIVE "ON LOCATION"
RECORDINGS... Make enough of them at all of your performances and you will
have ample GREAT material for a CD.  But that's a subject for a new thread.

FEELING GOOD... Yes band members have the "daily grind" like we all do. It's
a job.  They have wifes or girlfriends, children, etc... and the challenges
of life we all have.  But IMHO, a truly professional musician (or a
professional in any occupation) can bury the daily or momentary problems and
rise to the occassion of performning their job to their utmost ability.
Sounds old-fashioned, I know - yet true.

That's all for now... a few points which hopefully will get some elaboration
and comment from the list.

Thanks for the good thoughts on this thread.

Gordon