[Dixielandjazz] To Fender or not Fender

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:50:10 EDT

--part1_78.29b75d50.2a6778d2_boundary

In a message dated 7/17/02 6:26:35 PM Central Daylight Time, patcooke@cox.net
writes:

> .
>         Well, it took me a while to get used to playing Fender bass.  I had
> thought it would be a lot easier than it was.  Now, some years later, I
> actually prefer playing the Fender, and yes I like the way it sounds better
> than my cheap plywood acoustic bass that I bought new around 1949, and
> still
> have..
>           Before you start sounding like you know what you are talking
> about
> (and unless you're a bass player, you probably don't); let me remind you
> that the type of strings have a dramatic effect on the sound of a
> bass....acoustic or not, but especially the Fender.....and I haven't even
> started to talk about the pickups or the amplifier yet.
>           So, when you SEE a bass player pull a Fender out of the bag, wait
> till you hear it with your EARS before you.......you know...
>             I'm ready for the flack..
>          Pat Cooke

   You won't get any flack from me or Charlie Hooks.  We had the pleasure of
working  with Jimmy Johnson who had one of the original fretless Fender's.
The way Jimmy played it it almost sounded like an accoustic bass but the main
thing was the great bass lines that he played.  Jimmy was with the Treniers
for years and then a long stay with bob Scobey.  Louis Armstrong tried to
hire him but he didn't want to travel that much.  A Fender bass well played
is definately preferable to a cheap accoustic or any accoustic badly played.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_78.29b75d50.2a6778d2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/17/02 6:26:35 PM Central Daylight Time, patcooke@cox.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Well, it took me a while to get used to playing Fender bass.&nbsp; I had<BR>
thought it would be a lot easier than it was.&nbsp; Now, some years later, I<BR>
actually prefer playing the Fender, and yes I like the way it sounds better<BR>
than my cheap plywood acoustic bass that I bought new around 1949, and still<BR>
have..<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Before you start sounding like you know what you are talking about<BR>
(and unless you're a bass player, you probably don't); let me remind you<BR>
that the type of strings have a dramatic effect on the sound of a<BR>
bass....acoustic or not, but especially the Fender.....and I haven't even<BR>
started to talk about the pickups or the amplifier yet.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So, when you SEE a bass player pull a Fender out of the bag, wait<BR>
till you hear it with your EARS before you.......you know...<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm ready for the flack..<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Pat Cooke</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; You won't get any flack from me or Charlie Hooks.&nbsp; We had the pleasure of working&nbsp; with Jimmy Johnson who had one of the original fretless Fender's.&nbsp; The way Jimmy played it it almost sounded like an accoustic bass but the main thing was the great bass lines that he played.&nbsp; Jimmy was with the Treniers for years and then a long stay with bob Scobey.&nbsp; Louis Armstrong tried to hire him but he didn't want to travel that much.&nbsp; A Fender bass well played is definately preferable to a cheap accoustic or any accoustic badly played.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_78.29b75d50.2a6778d2_boundary--