[Dixielandjazz] Festival Attendies!

Pepett@aol.com Pepett@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:15:36 EDT

--part1_aa.e9ce891.2a6762a8_boundary

   People LISTEN more with their eyes than they do their ears.

 Although I respect the right of the persons who think this way, the line
above (to ME at least) is one of the strangest statements I have ever read in
respect to music in general and JAZZ in particular!

    BUT, it does lend a bit of credence to what I have been saying for a
number of years regarding the attendees at these Jazz Festivals events: The
bulk of these people ARE NOT JAZZ/BIG BAND fans  but rather a certain
percentage of older people who just wish to get away for a few days, bring
back some memories of their youth, and spend some "Quality Time" with their
"Peers" AND incidentally enjoy some music!

    Stop the first 400 people entering a Venue and ask them if they know who
Bud Freeman. Jack Jenny, Ray Bauduc, or Maxie Kaminsky were  (just as
examples )-----what would be the percentage of people who had heard of any of
them?-----My guess would be around 15%
     What do the rest of you believe it would be?
     If you do wish to voice an opinion answer, OFF THE LIST
 PLEASE, no more on line flaming!!
Best
      Perry

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

--part1_aa.e9ce891.2a6762a8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2><B><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; People LISTEN more with their eyes than they do their ears.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
 Although I respect the right of the persons who think this way, the line above (to ME at least) is one of the strangest statements I have ever read in respect to music in general and JAZZ in particular!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; BUT, it does lend a bit of credence to what I have been saying for a number of years regarding the attendees at these Jazz Festivals events: The bulk of these people ARE NOT JAZZ/BIG BAND fans&nbsp; but rather a certain percentage of older people who just wish to get away for a few days, bring back some memories of their youth, and spend some "Quality Time" with their "Peers" AND incidentally enjoy some music!<BR>
&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Stop the first 400 people entering a Venue and ask them if they know who Bud Freeman. Jack Jenny, Ray Bauduc, or Maxie Kaminsky were&nbsp; (just as examples )-----what would be the percentage of people who had heard of any of them?-----My guess would be around 15%<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What do the rest of you believe it would be?<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If you do wish to voice an opinion answer, OFF THE LIST<BR>
 PLEASE, no more on line flaming!!<BR>
Best<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Perry<BR>
&nbsp; <BR>
 <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; </B><BR>
<B><BR>
<BR>
</B>LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL</FONT></HTML>

--part1_aa.e9ce891.2a6762a8_boundary--