[Dixielandjazz] Answer to Million Dollar Question

BillSargentDrums@aol.com BillSargentDrums@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:40:39 EDT

--part1_f2.1ea07700.2a66f807_boundary

<<"Conclusion... no one is interested in analyzing this... no one
cares.... no one can figure it out..">>

I learned 30 years ago from someone on Clyde McCoy's band (I think it was
either Gene Bolen or Ed reed) the basic answer to this question . . . and
I've never seen it proven false in my career . . . only validations of the
fact that:

People LISTEN more with their eyes than they do their ears.

Now I know that many musicians will contradict that statement, but it's not
the musicians I'm talkin' about. It's John Q. Public . . . who vastly
out-numbers good musicians at most avy event.

Many musicians who are great players, play unethusiasticly as to their
outward appearance. Very boring for most folks. Some mediocre musicians put
their whole heart and soul and energy in their performances and get standing
O's.

Stage appeal, charisma, is a comination of energy, giving it all, and
excitement. Personality is conveyed with a warm, genuine smile. Being
animated gives them something to watch. You put all this together and you get
charisma.

People love to watch someone who loves what they do and shows it.

Many musicians forget that musical performances are entertainment . . .
people come to be entertained. Most musicians are content with musical
content. Most audiences are not.

The Goodman Quartet was both musical and entertaining. That's the key.

Once again . . . People LISTEN more with their eyes than they do their ears.

Hope this helps,
Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargent.com

--part1_f2.1ea07700.2a66f807_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&lt;&lt;"Conclusion... no one is interested in analyzing this... no one<BR>
cares.... no one can figure it out.."&gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
I learned 30 years ago from someone on Clyde McCoy's band (I think it was either Gene Bolen or Ed reed) the basic answer to this question . . . and I've never seen it proven false in my career . . . only validations of the fact that:<BR>
<BR>
People LISTEN more with their eyes than they do their ears.<BR>
<BR>
Now I know that many musicians will contradict that statement, but it's not the musicians I'm talkin' about. It's John Q. Public . . . who vastly out-numbers good musicians at most avy event.<BR>
<BR>
Many musicians who are great players, play unethusiasticly as to their outward appearance. Very boring for most folks. Some mediocre musicians put their whole heart and soul and energy in their performances and get standing O's.<BR>
<BR>
Stage appeal, charisma, is a comination of energy, giving it all, and excitement. Personality is conveyed with a warm, genuine smile. Being animated gives them something to watch. You put all this together and you get charisma.<BR>
<BR>
People love to watch someone who loves what they do and shows it.<BR>
<BR>
Many musicians forget that musical performances are entertainment . . . people come to be entertained. Most musicians are content with musical content. Most audiences are not.<BR>
<BR>
The Goodman Quartet was both musical and entertaining. That's the key.<BR>
<BR>
Once again . . . People LISTEN more with their eyes than they do their ears.<BR>
<BR>
Hope this helps,<BR>
Bill<BR>
414-777-0100<BR>