[Dixielandjazz] Duplicate answers (was The Gig)

Andy.Ling@Quantel.Com Andy.Ling@Quantel.Com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:41:49 +0100

Bill Haesler posed the question:

> I have a question about DJML message delay which has intrigued me for
some time.
> A question comes in, I (or someone) provides  the answer immediately and
it
> appears on the DJML minutes later.
> Yet for hours, sometimes days, posts related to the original query pour
in,
> seemly bypassing the instant answer provided.
> Why? Digest related perhaps?

Not a definitive answer, but one reason may be;

People may look at their email fairly infrequently, every few
hours or days. Particularly if they are on dial-up.
They then work through all the messages, see
something they know about and blast off a reply. Then a bit
further there is another answer that they hadn't read yet.
Too late, the answer's gone.

Personally, when I have a whole bunch of messages. As I work
through them I file those I'm not going to reply to (possibly
in the trash ;-) then when I've finished all the messages I
I don't duplicate answers. It doesn't always work though.

Regards

Andy Ling