[Dixielandjazz] Shorthand chords - was factionalism

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:19:51 -0400

Pat Cooke wrote about chords and my view of them.

"Speaking as a guy who stumbles around the guitar, It's OK to think of
the 13th as the 6th as long as it's not right next to the 7th....move it

into the next octave.  That's why it's called the 13th."

Pat is correct, a 6th is not really a 13th. However, in my original post
I referred to a the use of a 6th as a "shorthand" method of playing a
13th. This device, if you will, is common among several modern jazz
players who shall remain nameless so the Jazz Police do not come after
me for heresy. (Write me off list if you want to know who uses 6ths as
13ths and 2nds as 9ths etc.)

Thus small handed piano players, and banjos and 4 string guitars can use
a "shorthand" chord that sounds pretty much like the longhand chord
harmony freeing up the other players to be more adventurous in their
improvisation.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone