[Dixielandjazz] FW: The Gig

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:53:21 +1000

Dear mates,
In Feb 2001 we discussed the 1985 film 'The Gig' on another list.
At the time I spoke to me ole mate (from the late 40s) Bob Barnard who set the
record straight, as follows:
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I audio-taped the music off the video years ago. Unfortunately (as I recall)
there is only about 15 minutes of it.
But a fun film, which those of us in the 'business' can relate to.
There is also (as I recall) a list of the musos in the final credit roll. If you
blink you'll miss it. This gives Bob's name as Bernard.

Bob Barnard's message to me:
Dear Bill,
The line up for the sound track was me, Kenny Davern, George Masso,Dick
Wellstood was the piano player and I think the bass player was Johnny Johnson
and the drummer was Herb Harris (also the booker).  Warren Vache did some of the
sound track, in fact you can hear a couple of splices if you listen closely.  I
think also that Milt Hinton did some of the music but at a
different session.
I was to have lunch with Kenny Davern when he rang and said he had a gig at such
&
such studio on 42nd Street, and would I like to visit.  When I got there, Warren
had gotten some kind of fever and gone home. Kenny said "quick, go get your
horn".  So I was at the right place at the right time.
That night I went and played with Dick Wellstood and Kenny at a place called
Hanratty's somewhere on the east side in New York.
Come to think of it, Bobby Rosengarden probably did some of it at another
session.
If you need more info, let me know.
Regards Bob B.