[Dixielandjazz] Let's Get The Ball Rolling

Pepett@aol.com Pepett@aol.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:53:34 EDT

--part1_171.107953f8.2a62dc5e_boundary

Charlie,
           Very astute, but my feeling has always been that the "Next Wave Of
Young Turks" Scott Joplin, W. C. Handy, Jelly Roll, Louie, King Oliver, Eddie
Condon, et al set out to "add to" and NOT destroy an art form!!
          But you are saying that  These other guys took that "Only true Art
Form That America Has Given To The World" and DELIBERATELY set out to DESTROY
it- just for destruction's sake?-----Very interesting, but quite untrue in my
view.
         When I listen to Teddy Wilson, Jess Stacy, Art Tatum (as examples)
and the myriad players of today such as Johnny Varro, Butch Thompson,
Bob Ringwald,Bob Pilsbury (, etc.) and then hear the same or similar tunes by
Monk and that group I could almost cry--WHAT has happened to the melody?
        Let us not forget the Reeds---Johnny Hodges, The Hawk, Webster,
Bechet' Bud Freeman, etc., must spin in there graves when they hear the
"GREAT BIRD" play 9,000 notes when any of the old Giants could have said the
same thing in 16 bars, said it more eloquently  and had it recognized in the
bargain!
        Last but NOT least: the Horn:----Do you REALLY believe that Louis,
Wild Bill, Red Allen, Bobby Hackett et al. tolerate the noise these Modern
Tpt men make under the guise of improvisation?   I don't think so!
       I will have to agree with you in your assumption that the change was
attempted deliberately, but NOT for the reasons you mention !!
Best,
       Perry
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

--part1_171.107953f8.2a62dc5e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2><B>Charlie,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Very astute, but my feeling has always been that the "Next Wave Of Young Turks" Scott Joplin, W. C. Handy, Jelly Roll, Louie, King Oliver, Eddie Condon, et al set out to "add to" and NOT destroy an art form!!<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But you are saying that&nbsp; These other guys took that "Only true Art Form That America Has Given To The World" and DELIBERATELY set out to DESTROY it- just for destruction's sake?-----Very interesting, but quite untrue in my view.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; When I listen to Teddy Wilson, Jess Stacy, Art Tatum (as examples) and the myriad players of today such as Johnny Varro, Butch Thompson,<BR>
Bob Ringwald,Bob Pilsbury (, etc.) and then hear the same or similar tunes by Monk and that group I could almost cry--WHAT has happened to the melody?<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Let us not forget the Reeds---Johnny Hodges, The Hawk, Webster, Bechet' Bud Freeman, etc., must spin in there graves when they hear the "GREAT BIRD" play 9,000 notes when any of the old Giants could have said the same thing in 16 bars, said it more eloquently&nbsp; and had it recognized in the bargain!<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Last but NOT least: the Horn:----Do you REALLY believe that Louis, Wild Bill, Red Allen, Bobby Hackett et al. tolerate the noise these Modern Tpt men make under the guise of improvisation?&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't think so!<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I will have to agree with you in your assumption that the change was attempted deliberately, but NOT for the reasons you mention !!<BR>
Best,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Perry<BR>
</B>LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL</FONT></HTML>

--part1_171.107953f8.2a62dc5e_boundary--