[Dixielandjazz] Million Dollar Question

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:39:59 -0400

Dave Hanson wrote:

> Steve,
> I marvel at the so called secrecy involving this
> particular gig. At least that's what I get from  your
> comment.
> If that many people are attending this event, why
> would they all go if they didn't know your band was playing ?
>
> Dave Hanson
> Trombone
> Atlanta

List mates & Dave Hanson

Actually, Dave, we are one of 6 bands playing in 6 separate venues
simultaneously. Jazz (via Barbone Street), Doo Wop, Reggae, Rock,
Country Western, and a 16 piece Swing Band. The 25,000 attending have
all been invited, and accepted.

I doubt any of them are coming to see "us.," though many may know about
us. (I wish I could draw 25,000) That's the beauty of the gig. We'll be
playing OKOM in competition with other music to a cross section of
regular folks, not OKOM fans. It will be an interesting read on the
power of OKOM as presented by the Barbone Street Jazz Band. A giant
"cutting session" if you will, among 6 different music style bands, to
an audience from about 6 years old to about 70. And we'll be playing
"real" OKOM jazz by anyone's definition, with a six piece band. (Tpt,
Tmb, Clt, Dms, Bs, Guit.)

It will be a little like a mini Disney World in terms of musical venues.
Except that we will not be wearing stripes and straws. Just our regular
neat, casual, un-matching dress. Our music, and our beads will speak for
us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone