[Dixielandjazz] Re: Million Dollar Question

Bill Horton horton4jaz@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:45:39 -0700

First, let me say that I think being a festival director is one of the most
unrewarding, thankless jobs around. No matter what a gangbusters lineup you
choose, there will always be numerous questioners who ask why you DIDN'T
invite so-and-so and why you DID invite so-and-so. It's a no-win situation.

Appreciating the directors' problems, I refrain from such questions, but on
one occasion I couldn't refrain.  One festival (NOT our Jubilee By The Sea)
invited one band back, year after year.  They were good musicians and
showmen but, in my opinion (shared by many), they have a schtick which was
fun and worth seeing once, but once only.  I asked the festival head why he
kept inviting them.

He answered, "Well, they sell enough badges to pay their way." I asked if he
meant that literally, that they actually sold the badges, and he said no,
but they DREW enough additional badge sales to pay their way.

Obviously, this was his opinion, impossible to verify, so I let it drop.

The answer to the "Million Dollar Question" (why some good bands are popular
and other equally good ones not) has to be "charisma."  If you have it, you
can get away with anything (e.g. B. Clinton & O.J.), but if you ain't got
it, too bad.

Bill Horton