[Dixielandjazz] What or Who to discuss

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:12:51 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3109497171_1509435_MIME_Part

on 7/14/02 7:41 AM, Kmstrmldr@aol.com at Kmstrmldr@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 7/14/02 02:10:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

I returned to
Ann Arbor the year before Dan Havens, my close friend back at Michigan,
arrived in Edwardsville.  Now there is a bunch of memories--just ask him!
We founded the Boll Weevil Jass Band

How is Dan?
My brother, a neurologist, and I tried to help him and his playing.  We
think he has what is called a focal dystonia and we had him send us a
videotape of him trying to play.  I think he was a bit sick of the situation
he was in with the St. Louis Rivermen and was ready to stop playing anyway.
I got to know him, a bit, when his malady first hit him and he was still
playing.  What a good guy and what a tragedy that he was afflicted so.

Don Hale

I haven't been able to contact Dan lately, but will keep trying.  The
address I have is:

                                           danmazhav@aol.com.

We first met in Ann Arbor when Dan was just out of the navy--must have been
in 1953 or 4.  Somebody booked us on the same job together and we just hit
it off.  Told me the story of his having picked up Wild Bill's horn at an
intermission and lived to tell the tale.

He was always a strong player, a natural leader in life as well as in music.
Dan has many talents most folk know nothing of--including his ability to
speak Mandarin Chinese, having lived in China as a child.  His father was a
successful businessman, and Dan (much like his father) would have succeeded
at whatever he tried.  When we met, he was a political science major and I
was doing an English PhD.  I've always feared he blames me for his having
changed his major to English, going to Edwardsville, IL, and getting saddled
with a department chairmanship.  (Or is it now just "chair," all "manship"
disallowed?)

A fine trumpet/cornet player and an exceptionally fine man.

--MS_Mac_OE_3109497171_1509435_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Dixielandjazz] What or Who to discuss</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 7/14/02 7:41 AM, Kmstrmldr@aol.com at Kmstrmldr@aol.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>In a message dated 7/14/02 02:10:20 AM Easter=
n Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes: <BR>
<BR>
</B></FONT><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>I returned to <BR>
Ann Arbor the year before Dan Havens, my close friend back at Michigan, <BR=

arrived in Edwardsville. &nbsp;Now there is a bunch of memories--just ask h=
im! <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>We founded the Boll Weevil Jass Band <BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B><BR>
How is Dan? <BR>
My brother, a neurologist, and I tried to help him and his playing. &nbsp;W=
e think he has what is called a focal dystonia and we had him send us a vide=
otape of him trying to play. &nbsp;I think he was a bit sick of the situatio=
n he was in with the St. Louis Rivermen and was ready to stop playing anyway=
. <BR>
I got to know him, a bit, when his malady first hit him and he was still pl=
aying. &nbsp;What a good guy and what a tragedy that he was afflicted so. <B=

<BR>
Don Hale</B></FONT> <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I haven't been able to contact Dan lately, but will keep trying. &nbsp;The =
address I have is:<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=3D"1"><FONT FACE=3D"Geneva">danmazhav=
@aol.com.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
We first met in Ann Arbor when Dan was just out of the navy--must have been=
 in 1953 or 4. &nbsp;Somebody booked us on the same job together and we just=
 hit it off. &nbsp;Told me the story of his having picked up Wild Bill's hor=
n at an intermission and lived to tell the tale. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
He was always a strong player, a natural leader in life as well as in music=
. &nbsp;Dan has many talents most folk know nothing of--including his abilit=
y to speak Mandarin Chinese, having lived in China as a child. &nbsp;His fat=
her was a successful businessman, and Dan (much like his father) would have =
succeeded at whatever he tried. &nbsp;When we met, he was a political scienc=
e major and I was doing an English PhD. &nbsp;I've always feared he blames m=
e for his having changed his major to English, going to Edwardsville, IL, an=
d getting saddled with a department chairmanship. &nbsp;(Or is it now just &=
quot;chair,&quot; all &quot;manship&quot; disallowed?)<BR>
<BR>
A fine trumpet/cornet player and an exceptionally fine man.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3109497171_1509435_MIME_Part--