[Dixielandjazz] Chicago visit

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:20:39 +0200

Jim Beebe wrote:
Go to Andy's in chicago at Hubbard just off (east) of State St.  Just a
few=20
blocks north of the Loop.  Russ Phillips Band is there with Bob Neighor
and=20
Kim cusack. =20

I went there in Feb on Jim's sugesti=F3n.  Easy to get to (2 blocks off
the Miracle Mile near the river).  Looks very seedy, the street, but
just keep your eyes open).  Cost at the door is 5$.  We had dinner,
which is good & decently priced.  Say hello to the guys in the band.
Kim used to be on DJML.  Nice bunch.  Good music, lousy sound.  If you
hoped to hear the piano, better sit near it.

For blues, go to the Underground Wonder Bar just off of State Street
("that great street, I just want to say"....sorry!).  5$ to get in.
Really seedy.  An excellent blues band begins about 10 or 11, can't
remember.  Everyone there smokes something or other, but just don't try
to smoke a cigar like I did.  A 300 pound waitress will ask you to put
it out!   :>

All this talk lately about Chicago hotels.  I booked into the
Knickerbocker Hotel on the internet.  Beautiful rooms, great hotel.
Very close to everything.

A Protestant church across the street on the Mag. Mile from the hotel
has free concerts at noon.  We heard an organ concert that brought tears
to my eyes.  Those big bass pipes do it everytime!!  Didn't effect
everyone, though.  My brother in law fell asleep!   :>

Enjoy, Jim