[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong in long tie and different suits?

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:34:28 EDT

--part1_18b.a807029.2a5eff84_boundary

In a message dated 7/11/02 10:20:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
sbrager@socal.rr.com writes:

> The problem with the Town Hall concert in 1947 is that it was NOT the
> Armstrong band...yet. It was more of a jam session with Armstrong being the
>
> leader. It was an experiment to try to boost the sagging career of
> Armstrong and, more importantly, to return him to the public as the leader
> of a small jazz band.
>
> The whole affair was the brainchild of Ernest Anderson who had to convince
> Armstrong's manager Joe Glaser to let Louis do the gig.
>
> All the participants were hired for that evening (May 17, 1947) only, so I
> doubt that band uniforms were paid for. They dressed in suits and ties
> which were standard fair for jazz musicians at that time for that
> engagement.
>
> All who were contracted for the evening showed up except for Sidney Bechet.
>
> Reference: Liner notes from the French RCA CD set "Louis Armstrong At Town
> Hall".
>
> Stan
> Stan Brager
> Trombonist-in-Training

   One other note on the magnificent Town Hall concert.  Bobby Hackett
assembled and rehearsed the band. Louis and Teagarden were out of this world.
and Hackett and all of them.

   JIm Beebe

--part1_18b.a807029.2a5eff84_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/11/02 10:20:36 AM Central Daylight Time, sbrager@socal.rr.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">The problem with the Town Hall concert in 1947 is that it was NOT the <BR>
Armstrong band...yet. It was more of a jam session with Armstrong being the <BR>
leader. It was an experiment to try to boost the sagging career of <BR>
Armstrong and, more importantly, to return him to the public as the leader <BR>
of a small jazz band.<BR>
<BR>
The whole affair was the brainchild of Ernest Anderson who had to convince <BR>
Armstrong's manager Joe Glaser to let Louis do the gig.<BR>
<BR>
All the participants were hired for that evening (May 17, 1947) only, so I <BR>
doubt that band uniforms were paid for. They dressed in suits and ties <BR>
which were standard fair for jazz musicians at that time for that <BR>
engagement.<BR>
<BR>
All who were contracted for the evening showed up except for Sidney Bechet.<BR>
<BR>
Reference: Liner notes from the French RCA CD set "Louis Armstrong At Town <BR>
Hall".<BR>
<BR>
Stan<BR>
Stan Brager<BR>
Trombonist-in-Training</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; One other note on the magnificent Town Hall concert.&nbsp; Bobby Hackett assembled and rehearsed the band. Louis and Teagarden were out of this world. and Hackett and all of them.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_18b.a807029.2a5eff84_boundary--