[Dixielandjazz] What is a 'musician's musician'?

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:21:47 -0500

>>>Does a musician when he or she listens to another
player approach the performance from a different viewpoint to a
non-musician?"<<<

    You bet!!
    Some years ago, a non-musician asked me, "When you listen to music,do
you just listen to the melody, or do you listen to the whole thing?"  I
couldn't believe anyone could completely ignore the chords, the fills,
obligatos, counter melodies, and all of the things that make up a
performance.  It occured to me there must be zillions of people out there
that just can't comprehend anything but simple ditties.  They simply don't
know what they're missing!
    Pat Cooke