[Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 05:50:30 -0400

Nancy:
Let me see if I have you correct...you would not pay to hear a great band if
the players were dressed in tee shirts, correct?
This raises a question Nancy -- do you go for the music or for the fashions?
If it was truly great jazz, I'd go to hear it if they dressed in
skivvies or thongs. Finding great jazz these days is worth any price in
times of rap, rock, and rotten material.
Sure, it's nice to see a band well dressed, but that has nothing to do with
how they play. Jackie Coon played around Carmel with Jake Stock's Abalone
Stompers for years, and the group dressed like Left Coast Beach Bums. But
they played wonderful jazz, entertained the people they played for, and
nobody with ears gave a damn about their attire.
One man's opinion
Don Ingle