[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms and Appearance

Bob Shoring bobshoring@california.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:52:34 -0700

While the quality of the music is most important, there's no denying the
visual aspect of watching a live band perform.  How the band dresses is
part of the presentation, as is their attitude.

I think it's fine for the musicians to dress in keeping with the times
and the occasion.  Some sense of uniformity I find appealing, such as
all white (or blue, green, etc.) dress shirts with ties, or matching
sport or T-shirts with more or less matching pants.  But one thing has
always stuck out like a sore thumb to me -- when one guy in the front
line is wearing SHORTS.  It's even worse if he's overweight and wearing
white socks and running shoes!  While the music may be great, this one
visual aspect can tarnish the band's overall impression, in my opinion.
It  gives me the impression that this guy didn't care enough to get
dressed to play jazz.  Of course the context makes a difference.
Playing at a barbecue, you sort of expect it, but at festivals, where
many bands are making their first impressions, it looks out of place to
me.  One exception I can recall was a group of younger musicians who all
wore matching shorts and shorts and sandals, and they looked quite
presentable.

The other visual aspect is the musicians enjoyment.  Smiles do help, if
they're genuine.  There's one drummer with a band in Texas that I'll
never forget.  His smile is so infectious that the audience can't help
but smile back, and just watching him play the drums fills us with a
sense of joy, as one can feel that he's loving what he does and enjoying
every minute of it.

By the way, I am not a musician, but a devoted fan.

Bob Shoring