[Dixielandjazz] RE: Preservation Hall

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:09:56 +0200

Bill answered my questions about Preservation Hall most graciously.
Thanks.  I was taken aback by his first post that original said he went
there in '45 (he later corrected himself!).  I was always pretty sure it
didn't exist the one & only time I was in N.O., in 1958.  I heard
Sharkey Bonano at the Famous Door.  I was 17, and amazed at the great
sounds.  I had already had two years in the South Frisco Jazz Band, but
of course had a long way to go to reach those gentlemen's level.

People in Europe generally believe that Preservation Hall is an
institution dating back to the beginnings of jazz, and that the guys
sitting there were there from the beginning.  I was pretty sure this was
not so.  Bill's post clears that up for me.

Jim