[Dixielandjazz] Re: Preservation Hall

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:05:51 +1000

Dear Jim,
Regarding your query: >What is the history of Pres. Hall?  When did it start up?
 I thought it was a fairly recent thing....late 1960's thing, that had fallen
into the myth of having been there forever.<
Buy the William Carter book.
Just kidding.  8>)
Herewith a potted history lifted from Mr Carter's book, a Google site and
supplemented with information from the Grove Dictionary of Jazz.
Preservation Hall. 726 St Peter Street, New Orleans.
The Hall was built as a house/residence in the heart of New Orleans' French
Quarter in 1812.  It served as a tavern during the War of 1812.
In 1952 the Hall's  then owner, Larry Borenstein, invited veteran musicians to
his adjoining art gallery to  entertain his friends.
In 1961 the art gallery sessions moved next door when the hall was opened, as
Preservation Hall, in June that year organised variously, together and
separately by Borenstein, Grayson Mills, Barbara Reid and Allan and Sandra
Jaffe.
Not all fun and roses from then on it seems and other DJMLers closer to the
situation may wish to elaborate.
The Jaffe's eventually bought the hall in 1984 and, following Alan's death, it
is currently (I believe) run by Sandra Jaffe .
Kind regards,
Bill.