[Dixielandjazz] dress

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:10:11 -0500

on 7/9/02 4:08 AM, James Kashishian at kash@ran.es wrote:

> We play a lot of jazz clubs where the rule has been, always, no rule!  I
> personally put on a clean shirt (often a t-shirt with some music theme),
> ironed & fresh, with (at least) clean trousers (usually black jeans).
> Not everyone goes to that trouble, unfortunately.
>
> Dances, weddings, company parties,  etc., we bring out our multicolored
> vests.  We have a patch on the breast that has our name on it.
> Actually, the patch is to cover up the J & B logo as we got the vests
> free at whiskey gig!!  The vests go over a white shirt with black
> trousers.  Bow tie finishes it off.
>
> Concerts....normally in lovely concert halls, some ancient/some very
> modern, we wear suits, each to his liking.  This has gone over very
> well, and gives an air of importance to the band, which I readily
> destroy with my antics!  :>
>
> My number one rule...for me only, of course, is that I'm clean & at
> least look as though I had planned to go on stage!
>
> We have discussed getting some shirts to wear with braces/suspenders,
> but have fallen down in our discussions.  The reason?  I believe if it
> is to be a uniform, then the shirts must be all alike.  Fine if one is
> black, another one red, green, etc., but the style of shirt needs to be
> the same.  The shirt then has to be worn with matching trousers, and the
> shoes should at least be similar.  (We have one member who insists on
> wearing brown shoes with his black trousers when we put on the vests.
> As he is behind the bass, it doesn't matter that much, so I keep quiet,
> but still......).  That's why we found the "your choice of suit" to be
> an amiable way of dressing!
>
> I can post a picture (band in suits) to anyone that would like to pin us
> on his wall....or the inside of his locker!!   :>
>
> Jim

All the above makes me wonder (with respect): just how old are you people?
You sound like kids to me--which may, of course, be to your advantage.  But
"T-shirts"?

I can guarantee one thing: the people whose music you are emulating--black
men from an earlier America--dressed to the nines!  Tuxedos and patent
leather shoes gleaming!  They made white gentlefolk look like "white trash"!
These guys, and I've been fortunate enough to play with some of them--Duke
Groner, Joe Johnson, Jimmy Johnson--innumerable!  If you wish to imitate
rockers and other strange species of noisemakers, that is your right; and I
would never say you nay.

But OKOM was originally High Style, baby!  And if you don't believe me, look
at the pictures!

Charlie