[Dixielandjazz] Re: Visual aspect of performance

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:02:00 -0500

>From: Nancy Giffin <nancyink@ulink.net>
>To: Captain Rapture <yup1275@pacbell.net>,
>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Visual aspect - rather long - BUT GOOD!!!
>Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:52:56 -0500
>
>WOW!!! I spoke of appealing to "visual" and "auditory" types. Dave, here,
>alludes to the "kinesthetic" types -- the "hands-on," emotional,
>vibe-sensitive fans. Great entertainment needs to satisfy all three types.
>With these words below, Captain Rapture is a Super Hero in my eyes:
> > From: Captain Rapture <yup1275@pacbell.net>
> > ...I was back there on bass, dancing and emoting and hollering...
>> ...you do need to live the charm of your music.
>> ...I'd nearly fall into a swoon after not breathing during my own solo.
>> ...Something about real men showing no emotion. When you are up there
>> performing a living work of art, it won't do to merely funnel your heart
>> out through your axe. Real creative artists share their souls through
>> every pore. It gives the audience more information. Reserve don't git it.
>> ...We need to work to keep quality and then honestly deliver it with
> > heart. ...If we stop hiding our hearts, we become real performers and what we do is congruent - what we do fits together to the eye and the ear.
Nancy and Captain and DJML--
    Yes, a fine essay, and good points to consider.
    Reminds me when i saw Vince Giordano's Nighthawks in New York at the Cajun Restaurant in April.  All of the band members looked like they were having a good time, and none more so than Vince, who was playing and singing good stuff and also LOOKING like he dug the hell out of it.
    I was also privy (so to speak) at a little-known piece of sax-lore, told by Dan Levinson, who with another of the saxes (whose name escapes me, unfortunately) would on the first beat of every 4th bar rise up out of their chairs about 3 inches simultaneously and then sit back down.  They said the technical term for this was the 'ass-lift', and gave a brief history and explanation of its place in band history.  I've searched in vain for any mention of this technique on the web and in technical journals, but maybe some of the more mature members of this list can further enlighten us.

    Dan
--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **