[Dixielandjazz] Webster Hotel, Chicago

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:48:47 EDT

--part1_169.1040e3d3.2a5c6def_boundary

a.crouch@unsw.edu.au writes:

> Hello all
>
> The discussion on the Blackstone Hotel got me wondering.
>
> Do Charlie and the boys have any info on the fate of the Webster Hotel? It
> was used by Victor as a recording studio in the mid 20s and was the
> location for some of the greatest jazz records ever made - Morton, Dodds
> and Moten.
>
> All the best
> Anton

   The building is still there but I'm not sure if it is still a hotel.  It
may have been condomiumized.  Campbell Burnap, a British trombonist and BBC
Jazz radio presenter was over here a few years back doing research and I
believe that he went there.  If somebody in the UK knows him perhaps they
could ask him about it.

   Incidentally, Campbell does some of the best radio jazz documentaries
ever.  We became friends and he sent me CDs of the programs he did on Louis
and on Bix.  They are superb.  He is truly gifted as a reasercher,
documentarian and radio presenter ( a British term).  Also a fine trombonist.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_169.1040e3d3.2a5c6def_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/9/02 8:33:15 AM Central Daylight Time, a.crouch@unsw.edu.au writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hello all<BR>
<BR>
The discussion on the Blackstone Hotel got me wondering.<BR>
<BR>
Do Charlie and the boys have any info on the fate of the Webster Hotel? It<BR>
was used by Victor as a recording studio in the mid 20s and was the<BR>
location for some of the greatest jazz records ever made - Morton, Dodds<BR>
and Moten.<BR>
<BR>
All the best<BR>
Anton</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; The building is still there but I'm not sure if it is still a hotel.&nbsp; It may have been condomiumized.&nbsp; Campbell Burnap, a British trombonist and BBC Jazz radio presenter was over here a few years back doing research and I believe that he went there.&nbsp; If somebody in the UK knows him perhaps they could ask him about it.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Incidentally, Campbell does some of the best radio jazz documentaries ever.&nbsp; We became friends and he sent me CDs of the programs he did on Louis and on Bix.&nbsp; They are superb.&nbsp; He is truly gifted as a reasercher, documentarian and radio presenter ( a British term).&nbsp; Also a fine trombonist.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>

--part1_169.1040e3d3.2a5c6def_boundary--