[Dixielandjazz] dress

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:08:15 +0200

We play a lot of jazz clubs where the rule has been, always, no rule!  I
personally put on a clean shirt (often a t-shirt with some music theme),
ironed & fresh, with (at least) clean trousers (usually black jeans).
Not everyone goes to that trouble, unfortunately.

Dances, weddings, company parties,  etc., we bring out our multicolored
vests.  We have a patch on the breast that has our name on it.
Actually, the patch is to cover up the J & B logo as we got the vests
free at whiskey gig!!  The vests go over a white shirt with black
trousers.  Bow tie finishes it off.

Concerts....normally in lovely concert halls, some ancient/some very
modern, we wear suits, each to his liking.  This has gone over very
well, and gives an air of importance to the band, which I readily
destroy with my antics!  :>

My number one rule...for me only, of course, is that I'm clean & at
least look as though I had planned to go on stage!

We have discussed getting some shirts to wear with braces/suspenders,
but have fallen down in our discussions.  The reason?  I believe if it
is to be a uniform, then the shirts must be all alike.  Fine if one is
black, another one red, green, etc., but the style of shirt needs to be
the same.  The shirt then has to be worn with matching trousers, and the
shoes should at least be similar.  (We have one member who insists on
wearing brown shoes with his black trousers when we put on the vests.
As he is behind the bass, it doesn't matter that much, so I keep quiet,
but still......).  That's why we found the "your choice of suit" to be
an amiable way of dressing!

I can post a picture (band in suits) to anyone that would like to pin us
on his wall....or the inside of his locker!!   :>

Jim