[Dixielandjazz] Festival TV spot/Saints

Schnabbels@aol.com Schnabbels@aol.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:03:21 EDT

--part1_60.22758e00.2a5b9059_boundary

Joe Hopkins and Listmates,

As far as what to play as background for a TV spot promoting an OKOM
Festival, my vote goes with the wise guys, i.e. those who responded by
sharing their wisdom as to what works. Therefore "Saints" has my vote.

There is another argument for it: (a) everybody, of course, knows the tune
but also
(b) you have a chance to do a very sophisticated commercial, namely, to
include a subliminal message. The second last line of "Saints" is "Yes I want
to be in that number". That's every advertising copywriter's dream. Folks who
know the tune will also be familiar with those lyrics. So let's all go to the
Seven-Eleven and buy Bud Light and potatoe chips. Translated: I want to go to
that Festival.

One other suggestion: I used to be an "insider" as far as the AZ Classic Jazz
Festival is concerned and am aware of the efforts to attract a younger
audience. Joe Hopkins, with whom I was co-director in 1998, deserves enormous
credit for that. Given that, I suggest that you give some thought to
instrumentation. Rather than use tuba/banjo in the rhythm (how many h's are
there in rhythm?) section, try bass and guitar instead. Do a four-beat, not
too fast, swing version of "Saints" rather than a two-beat. The ignorant
twenty-somethings watching the spot will recognize it as the type of music
they "discovered" and may get interested, thus broadening the potential
market. You might even want to include, dreads, a tenor saxophone. If that
helps to get it "off the ground", who cares; you'll be in good company.

Creatively submitted,

Rob van der Plas
Scottsdale, AZ

P.S.: For the benefit of our non-US friends, Seven-Eleven is a 24 hour/day
convenience store here in the U. S. of A. That's why it gets robbed all the
time. In the late seventies they banned the sale of "Playboy" on moral
grounds. I haven't shopped there since.

--part1_60.22758e00.2a5b9059_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Joe Hopkins and Listmates,<BR>
<BR>
As far as what to play as background for a TV spot promoting an OKOM Festival, my vote goes with the wise guys, i.e. those who responded by sharing their wisdom as to what works. Therefore "Saints" has my vote.<BR>
<BR>
There is another argument for it: (a) everybody, of course, knows the tune but also<BR>
(b) you have a chance to do a very sophisticated commercial, namely, to include a subliminal message. The second last line of "Saints" is "Yes I want to be in that number". That's every advertising copywriter's dream. Folks who know the tune will also be familiar with those lyrics. So let's all go to the Seven-Eleven and buy Bud Light and potatoe chips. Translated: I want to go to that Festival.<BR>
<BR>
One other suggestion: I used to be an "insider" as far as the AZ Classic Jazz Festival is concerned and am aware of the efforts to attract a younger audience. Joe Hopkins, with whom I was co-director in 1998, deserves enormous credit for that. Given that, I suggest that you give some thought to instrumentation. Rather than use tuba/banjo in the rhythm (how many h's are there in rhythm?) section, try bass and guitar instead. Do a four-beat, not too fast, swing version of "Saints" rather than a two-beat. The ignorant twenty-somethings watching the spot will recognize it as the type of music they "discovered" and may get interested, thus broadening the potential market. You might even want to include, dreads, a tenor saxophone. If that helps to get it "off the ground", who cares; you'll be in good company.<BR>
<BR>
Creatively submitted,<BR>
<BR>
Rob van der Plas<BR>
Scottsdale, AZ<BR>
<BR>
P.S.: For the benefit of our non-US friends, Seven-Eleven is a 24 hour/day convenience store here in the U. S. of A. That's why it gets robbed all the time. In the late seventies they banned the sale of "Playboy" on moral grounds. I haven't shopped there since.<BR>
<BR>
 </FONT></HTML>

--part1_60.22758e00.2a5b9059_boundary--