[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:52:20 -0400

Dave Richoux wrote:

"if it works for you I guess it proves something or other, but your
reply
triggers the whole question of "Straws & Stripes!" It seems to come up
every year or
so but I think it is worth discussion on this list. Should we as
musicians
perpetuate the cliche or is there just some rational (or irrational)
reason to
forever associate OKOM with red vests and white hats?"

If it works, by all means do it. I still remember the Dukes of Dixieland
looking like Elvis Presley circa 1970s and thinking why are they doing
that? Then a far wiser muso said to me, "Because that's what their
intended audience wears."

So pays your money and takes your choice, sez I.  If you want the straws
and stripes crowd, dress in straws and stripes. If you want the hip
crowd,  wear a beret, shades and cultivate a Van Dyke beard. (Am I
dating myself?)  If you want the current whacked out crowd, dress like
Ozzie Osbourne. And if you want a cross section of America crowd, dress
normally. And when in Rome, do as the Romans do. But before you dress
up, ask yourself: "Who am I trying to attract?"  The dress question will
answer itself.

My 2 cents is that there is no real rational reason to associate straws
and stripes with Dixieland. It was "In" when the Dukes started it,
because that's how the audience perceived Dixieland, but is now almost
"Out" because most of us who loved it then are dead.

Cheers,
Steve  Barbone

PS. Barbone Street has not worn straws, stripes or vests in the past 5
years. Probably about 700 gigs or so. We do wear red ties, white shirts
and blue pants for political rallies. And we did wear our "Veterans"
hats on 4 July, but those have a different meaning and are relevant to
our intended audience.