[Dixielandjazz] The Other Side of Igor

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

As I mentioned in a previous post, I wrote the lead article for
the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society's monthly newsletter,
"And All That Jazz," the month that Igor was a guest star.

As a separate, second article, I wrote "The Other Side of Igor."
It appeared in the same newsletter with a picture of Igor taken
from the rear--Not a pretty site...

Since Igor and his band are one of the top draws on the
Traditional Jazz Festival circuit, I am posting the article here.

Bob
Mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA  USA
See: http://www.ringwald.com

-----

                        THE OTHER SIDE OF
                             I G O R

(Includes a pic of Igor from the rear).

Yes, our February 10, 2002 guest star does have another side...
Igor was born and reared in the Deep South where he performed as
a Gospel singer at the age of five. He went to Arizona in 1961
for a one-year residency at Taliesin West in Scottsdale. At
Taliesin, he worked by day as an architectural draftsman for
several Frank Lloyd Wright projects including Grady Gammage
Auditorium. By night he was involved in the Phoenix Folk Music
scene, performing as a vocalist, classical and folk guitarist,
and string bass player. This early "folk crowd" included Linda
Ronstadt, Waylon Jennings, John Denver and   Paul Stookey (of
"Peter, "Paul & Mary" fame.

Following his residency at Taliesin West, he was offered a music
scholarship to Arizona State University. After graduating with
Honors, and a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. He enrolled in law
school for a very brief tenure. After three semesters Igor left
to join and tour worldwide with the popular Folk singing group,
The "New Christy Minstrels. They appeared on several network
television programs, including Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" and
Bob Hope TV specials.

For the past 15 years, Igor's Jazz Cowboys have presented an
Arizona-themed show for events both in and out of state. They
were appointed "Arizona's Ambassadors of Goodwill" by the
Governor and were recognized by Parliament in British Columbia
for their unique, Southwestern entertainment.

In 1994, they made their European debut in festivals in both
Holland and Germany. The following year they toured Australia,
appearing on the country's major television networks. In 1996,
Igor toured Israel as part of an All-Star jazz group.

Igor and his wife, Barbara, reside in the Phoenix suburb of Tempe
Arizona. They have one daughter, Johanna, who attends Portland
State University in Oregon.

When not traveling, Igor continues to improve his craft through
college courses, tutorials, and workshops. He is a member of the
Arizona Songwriters' Association and the Western Music
Association. The latter recently named Igor (and a fellow
musician from the area), "International Duo Yodeling Champions"
for 2002.

end