[Dixielandjazz] Ernie "All Birds Look Like Chickens To Me!" Carson

Richard Stevens jazzfact@ozemail.com.au
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 07:56:34 +1000

Hi All,
I also had a fine experience with Ernie here in Australia. The tour I
organized here (three or four gigs over a weekend went really well and
Ernie would be welcome back any time. Maybe in his home land he is not
appreciated. BTW we caught a concert featuring Don Rader another of your
countrymen enjoying his tour of OZ yesterday afternoon in our local
"Greek" ampitheatre. Very good but not OKOM.

Richard Stevens
The Jazz Factory
www.ozemail.com.au/~jazzfact/
Hi Listmates and Bill Haesler,

You wrote to me on the list,

>Tough talk about Ernie Carson.
>I recall that we all had a similar discussion, some years ago, when he
>was active on the DJML. So..........in his defence I offer the
>following . . .

I don't know exactly what "tough talk" means. Do you mean that the
language
was insulting and derogatory? Did you mean the language was honest and
frank? Did you mean the language was cruel and unforgiving? There's all
sorts of interpretations to the comment.

Anyway, I think my comments were sympathetic to Ernie's plight but at
the
same time reflected the realities of Ernie's persona.

I know Ernie can be charming. I've had several e-mail exchanges with him
in
which he was reasonable and friendly and revealed a more pleasant
demeanor
than we've all seen at other times. I acknowledged his musicianship but
was
honest about his darker side.

You had a happy experience with Ernie in Sydney, but I know of another
Aussie musician who arranged some Australian appearances for Ernie which

turned into a miserble experience for all concerned. Perhaps you caught
Ernie on a good day. But Ernie's days are not all good.

Trust me . . . if you or I pulled any one of the myriad non-professional

stunts Ernie did we'd never work in this town again.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Mr. Nice Guy" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com