[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ernie Carson

Bill Horton horton4jaz@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:08:50 -0700

b r writes:   I am curious.  I am familiar with Ernie Carson, the musician.
But I don't know enough about him to understand the above comment.  Also
there have been posts about him in the past referring to his posts on this
list.  I wasn't around then.  What is that all about?
  Is he still alive and playing?

To which, G. Wm. Oakley replied:

As I recall, Ernie began his career playing in the pit in burlesque houses
in portland, OR. It must have been a profound influence on his later life.
In all the years that I produced the St. Louis Jazz Festival I don't recall
a year (and he was there every year) in which there wasn' t some brouhaha
around Ernie.  He was a delight, he was maddening and a terrific player. In
a beige world we need the color of the Ernies.
G. William Oakley
My only exposure to Ernie Carson, before or since, was his infection of this
list a year or so ago.  I'm far from a prude, but from his posts (written
while he was drunk, I hope), he was a garbage-mouth clod, given to insults.
Not fun-insults, just crude insult-insults. If he "adds color to a beige
world", as suggested, it is with red crayon scribbles.

Bill Horton