[Dixielandjazz] Ernie Carson

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:18:09 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C2234C.7A0AA5C0

b r writes:   I am curious.  I am familiar with Ernie Carson, the =
musician.  But I don't know enough about him to understand the above =
comment.  Also  there have been posts about him in the past referring to =
his posts on this list.  I wasn't around then.  What is that all about?=20
  Is he still alive and playing?=20
=20
As I recall, Ernie began his career playing in the pit in burlesque =
houses in portland, OR. It must have been a profound influence on his =
later life.  In all the years that I produced the St. Louis Jazz =
Festival I don't recall a year (and he was there every year) in which =
there wasn' t some brouhaha around Ernie.  He was a delight, he was =
maddening and a terrific player. In a beige world we need the color of =
the Ernies.
G. William Oakley

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C2234C.7A0AA5C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>b r writes:&nbsp;<FONT face=3D"Times =
New Roman"=20
size=3D3>&nbsp; I am curious.&nbsp; I am familiar with Ernie Carson, the =

musician.&nbsp; But I don't know enough about him to understand the =
above=20
comment.&nbsp; Also&nbsp; there have been posts about him in the past =
referring=20
to his posts on this list.&nbsp; I wasn't around then.&nbsp; What is =
that all=20
about? <BR>&nbsp; Is he still alive and playing? =
</FONT><BR>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I recall, Ernie began his career =
playing in the=20
pit in burlesque houses in portland, OR. It must have been a profound =
influence=20
on his later life.&nbsp; In all the years that I produced the St. Louis =
Jazz=20
Festival I don't recall a year (and he was there every year) in which =
there=20
wasn' t some brouhaha around Ernie.&nbsp; He was a delight, he was =
maddening and=20
a terrific player. In a beige world we need the color of the=20
Ernies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>G. William =
Oakley</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C2234C.7A0AA5C0--