[Dixielandjazz] Festivities

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:58:00 -0400

Pat Ladd wrote: (about Ron Wheeler from Wake Island)

"I will say one thing. Some of these Marines are very, very touchy!"

Not only touchy, but the kind of folks that you don't mess with.  Ron
came to see Barbone Street last year, at our Brewpub gig in Media PA,
USA (near Philadelphia) He was visiting his son who lives nearby.

Ron, a sweet, gentle man F2F,  is never the less every man's image of the
classic tough US Marine. A kind of cross between John Wayne, Wallace
Beery and Clint Eastwood We introduced him at the restaurant as the guy
who had come the farthest (or furthest) to see the band. Half way round
the world from
Wake Island, where in 1941, after repelling the first Japanese attack,
greatly outnumbered with no hope of victory, US Forces were told via
radio that the last supply plane to them was taking off soon and did
they want anything special. Their classic reply?  "Send more Japs". (not
intended racially, just quoting the tenor of the times.)

He got a big cheer from folks who hadn't yet been born when Wake was attacked.

Retired MSgt Ron Wheeler, USMC?  Love you man along with all those US Forces
in harm's way all over the world.

Musical Content?  "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree"

Cheers,
Steve Barbone