[Dixielandjazz] Silly Copyright conflict

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:50:48 -0400

Dave Richoux wrote about some recently recorded silence by Mike Batt's
group on a CD: (snip)

"This has enraged representatives of the avant-garde, experimentalist
composer
John Cage, who died in 1992. The silence on his group's album
clearly sounds uncannily like 4'33", the silence composed by
Cage in his prime."

And about how it sparked a law suit because it sounded like a previous
silence. I think ghost of Thelonious Monk is laughing at them. He once
played and entire set, in the 1960s, with great effort, but barely
touching the keys. So that, in fact, though he touched them, no sound
came out of the piano. In San Francisco, I think. (where else?) ;-)

When finished, tis said he came over to the bar dripping with sweat from
his effort and remarked. "Good Set, huh?"

Now that's mind over matter. :-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone