[Dixielandjazz] Rosemary Clooney RIP

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:50:14 +0100

Don said
 > While some did not consider her a "jazz: singer, I thought she was quite
> comfortable singing among some very talented jazzers like Warren Vache,
> Scott Hamilton, John Otto and others

What is a jazz singer? I was dismayed again to read in Jazz Journal
international a review of Sudhalter's Hoagy book. The reviewer again said
something to the effect that Hoagy was not a jazz musician. This is of
course pure rot. Jazz singing or playing for that matter comes down to
improvising, timing and phrasing. Both Rosemary Clooney and Hoagy had both.
I suppose with the Bing centenary coming up there will be similar dismissals
of Mr Crosby's qualifications as a jazz singer.
cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com