[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Reviews

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:40:02 EDT

--part1_99.28c020ed.2a510cf2_boundary

In a message dated 6/30/02 10:18:01 AM Central Daylight Time, PLadd36932
writes:

> Not only an American phenomenon. You may have noticed that in the UK we
> recently had a Royal Concert supposedly celebrating the last 50 years in
> popular music.
> Where were Humph, Barber, Ball and Bilk who have been playing here all that
> time? Nowhere!. We had a plethora of hasbeens who had a hit for 2 weeks in
> 1965 plus a drugged out character from the Beach Boys. Jazz? Not a note!
>
> A prophet is not without honour except in his own country.
>
> Cheers
>
> Pat

   this is sad to note and I would like to comment on a statement that I made
recently.  I stated that Dixieland Jazz encompassed New Orleans Jazz, Chicago
Jazz, Eddie Condon style Jazz, & San Francisco Jazz.  I would add to this
British Trad Jazz.  The evolution of what we know as Dixieland or traditional
Jazz took on a new twist with the devolpment of what is known broadly as Trad
Jazz in England.  A unique cast of musicians came about there and contributed
in remarkable fashion to this music.  It is to our disadvantage here in the
States that we are not more familiar with them.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_99.28c020ed.2a510cf2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/30/02 10:18:01 AM Central Daylight Time, PLadd36932 writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Not only an American phenomenon. You may have noticed that in the UK we recently had a Royal Concert supposedly celebrating the last 50 years in popular music.<BR>
Where were Humph, Barber, Ball and Bilk who have been playing here all that time? Nowhere!. We had a plethora of hasbeens who had a hit for 2 weeks in 1965 plus a drugged out character from the Beach Boys. Jazz? Not a note!<BR>
<BR>
A prophet is not without honour except in his own country.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers<BR>
<BR>
Pat</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; this is sad to note and I would like to comment on a statement that I made recently.&nbsp; I stated that Dixieland Jazz encompassed New Orleans Jazz, Chicago Jazz, Eddie Condon style Jazz, &amp; San Francisco Jazz.&nbsp; I would add to this British Trad Jazz.&nbsp; The evolution of what we know as Dixieland or traditional Jazz took on a new twist with the devolpment of what is known broadly as Trad Jazz in England.&nbsp; A unique cast of musicians came about there and contributed in remarkable fashion to this music.&nbsp; It is to our disadvantage here in the States that we are not more familiar with them.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_99.28c020ed.2a510cf2_boundary--