[Dixielandjazz] The difference between Brits and Yanks

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:50:23 +0000

Hi Pat and Listmates,

My friend, Eric Holroyd - formerly from the UK but now residing in Oz, has a
line he uses with great comic effect in any number of ways. The line is " .
. . and I mean that in the nicest possible way."

So after the most egregious insult or negative comment about virtually
anything he simply smiles and says " . . . and I mean that in the nicest
possible way."

He probably picked that phrase up from your "Kenny Everett."

Cheers,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

><< in the best possible taste. >>
>
>Oh dear,
>here we go again. That phrase which would be instantly recognisable by any
>Brit means absolutely nothing to anyone outside these islands.
>It was a catchphrase invented by Kenny Everett a comic of whom no American
>has ever heard, and has become part of the language here. No wonder that
>you
>didn`t pick up on it.
>
>Its a complicated old world.
>
>Cheers
>
>PatL

MSN 8 limited-time offer: Join now and get 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_newmsn8ishere_3mf