[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Popular?

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:30:16 -0500

Dan,
Several jazz scholars say that "Mainstream" was coined by Stanley Dance
in the 1950s (e.g. Peter Clayton and Peter Gammond, "TheGuinness Jazz
Companion", and Barry Kernfeld, "New Grove Dictionary of Jazz"). Do you
have some documentation to support your statement that the "style"
originated in Australia in the 1940s? If so, this should be broadcast
throughout the jazz world as it would dispel another jazz myth. Best
wishes.
Fred