[Dixielandjazz] MILES DAVIS (yet again)

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:19:47 -0500

Hi Jerry:

I will say this just one time. I already know more about both the music of
Miles Davis and the persona that was Miles Davis than all of the DJML combined
except for guys like Jim Beebe and the other real jazz musicians on the list.
His music may stand on its own, but understanding the man who produced it is, I
think, of great interest to a great many jazz fans, some of whom are on the
DJML.

"Listen to Birth of the Cool to learn about Miles?" You can't be serious. That
makes no sense to any of the non professional musicians on the list, who would
learn nothing about Miles Davis just by listening. As for me, when I want to
know something, I try and look at the sum total of all the parts, or the man.
And how else would you know about past history without reading about it?
Listening alone is a very one dimensional way to go about understanding a man
and his music, and may produce nothing more than "I like that" or "I don't like
that." No real understanding of the form or the substance.

I was just trying to make a point nicely.(for me) That people who don't know a
damn thing about certain forms of music, or the musicians who play them, or the
writers who write about them, or how these musos lived, should really not show
their ignorance by spouting off a quick, smug, opinion. After all, the article
was about the man, not a treatise on English Literature.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone