[Dixielandjazz] Re: Happy Every Day -- and the Holy-daze, too

Don Kirkman donkirk@covad.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:09:30 -0800

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:49:34 EST, Jazzjerry@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 29/12/02 8:50:27 PM, jazzboard@hotmail.com writes:

><< But the main point is that my use of the word "pantomime" to describe
>street

>performers in whiteface was perfectly correct. >>

>Maybe in your funny country but if you look in a proper dictionary, the
>Concise Oxford, rather than a poor American one you will find that the
>primary definition for pantomine is "a theatrical entertainment, based on a
>fairy tale, with music, topical jokes etc. usually produced around
>Christmas." ;-)  I conceed that your definition does come second so we all
>all correct which is fine in this season of goodwill. Not too sure though
>about the 'street entertainment' unless it comes under the OED's 3rd
>definition of 'an absurd or outrageaous piece of behavious'.

That has been seen at least in living memory in the US, though it may
have gone the way of many of the fine arts.  When I were a lad at the
University I had a small part as Paul Revere and his horse in what I
recall as an amateur (and amateurish) production of the adventures of
Red Riding Hood.  And they say we USians ain't cultured!  Bah!  Any
country that developed OKOM has culture to burn.
--
Don
donkirk@covad.net