[Dixielandjazz] Re: Happy Every Day -- and the Holy-daze, too

Jazzjerry@aol.com Jazzjerry@aol.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:49:34 EST

In a message dated 29/12/02 8:50:27 PM, jazzboard@hotmail.com writes:

<< But the main point is that my use of the word "pantomime" to describe
street

performers in whiteface was perfectly correct. >>

Bill,

Maybe in your funny country but if you look in a proper dictionary, the
Concise Oxford, rather than a poor American one you will find that the
primary definition for pantomine is "a theatrical entertainment, based on a
fairy tale, with music, topical jokes etc. usually produced around
Christmas." ;-)  I conceed that your definition does come second so we all
all correct which is fine in this season of goodwill. Not too sure though
about the 'street entertainment' unless it comes under the OED's 3rd
definition of 'an absurd or outrageaous piece of behavious'.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.