[Dixielandjazz] Re: Happy Every Day -- and the Holy-daze, too

jazzfact jazzfact@ozemail.com.au
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:46:03 +1000

Bill,
Here's an article explaining Pantomime a little better than I can

In the British and Australian theatre, pantomime is a Christmas or New
Year entertainment. Like Punch and Judy, Harlequinade and the French
tradition of mime, its origins can be traced back to the 16th and 17th
century Italian improvised comic drama called the commedia dell'arte.=20
Growing out of the harlequin spectacle of the 18th century and the
burlesque of the 19th, pantomime retained such elements as an actress
playing the part of principal boy and an actor playing the dame.=20
Many of the plots were based on folk tales collected and retold by the
French writer Charles Perrault. His book 'Mother Goose's Fairy Tales'
published in 1697 included classic stories like Puss in Boots,
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Red Riding Hood.=20
As pantomimes used these stories more and more the role of Harlequin
diminished until he disappeared. New elements were added to the mix of
slapstick and double entendre. Popular songs, topical humour and satire
found their way into the script as did audience participation and guest
appearances by popular entertainers of the day.
Some of the comedy routines have become traditional. We've no idea who
first performed them but they are eagerly awaited by audiences who know
them just as well as do the performers.=20
Nowadays, people will try to tell you that panto is for children. Then
they'll attempt to emasculate the script, commenting that the baddies
are too frightening, witches are unchristian and the jokes are too
naughty. Rumour has it that one group even produced, 'Snow White and the
Seven Persons of Diminished Stature'! Well, pantomime has never been
politically correct. Instead, it brings us face to face with our greed,
prejudice, cowardice and dishonesty, and forces us to laugh at
ourselves.=20
In the end though, virtue is rewarded, true love conquers evil and
everyone lives happily ever after. It's terrific!

Richard Stevens
www.ozemail.com.au/~jazzfact/