[Dixielandjazz] Novelty Recording - Who Are These Guys?

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:58:29 -0800

 Dick Baker <dickbkr@goon.org> WROTE:

> An odd recording found its way to me because I'm known in certain
> off-round circles as a big fan of novelty music.  It's an
> unlabeled CD that sounds like it was dubbed off a very clean mono
> LP, but compressed badly.  It consists of a jazz trio of guitar,
> string bass and clarinet and a hot vocal trio, all male.

 > Does anybody recognize it from this description?  If not, I
> invite you to visit
>
>            http://goon.org/mystery/
>
> and give it a listen.

Dick, I'd bet my first born that the group is the Palm Springs Yacht Club.
John Reynolds guitar, Westy Westonhofer bass/tuba/baritone horn, Bob
Wrightmeyer clarinet.  There is a 4th instrument which is a guitar.  Not
sure who it is.  Might be Ray Templin.  He was with them for a short while.

I know they did a recording in Japan but I don't think this is the one.
Eventually they added a stand up drummer named Matt.  Can't remember his
last name.  Doesn't sound as if Matt is on this recording.

It is undoubtedly Westy on the low pitched mouth.

This was probably a demo.

I'll do some checking with John, Westy & the guys & see if it is indeed
them.

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA