[Dixielandjazz] Novelty Recording - Who Are These Guys?

Dick Baker dickbkr@goon.org
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:15:21 -0500

An odd recording found its way to me because I'm known in certain
off-round circles as a big fan of novelty music.  It's an
unlabeled CD that sounds like it was dubbed off a very clean mono
LP, but compressed badly.  It consists of a jazz trio of guitar,
string bass and clarinet and a hot vocal trio, all male.  Tracks
are

  1. There's Honey on the Moon Tonight
  2. What a Little Moonlight Can Do
  3. Saber Dance (raspberry vocal)
  4. You'd Be So Easy to Love
  5. Take Me Out to the Ball Game (raspberry vocal &
     crowd sound effects)
  6. Louisiana (tuba instead of string bass)
  7. Stars and Stripes Forever (raspberry vocal)
  8. With Plenty of Money and You
  9. Bugler's Holiday (raspberry vocal)
10. What Is This Thing Called Love (instrumental)

The playing and singing is indeed excellent, but the kicker is
that on four of the nine vocal numbers, the singers resort to
weird vocal effects, raspberries, snorts and occasional belches
-- and they really cook, especially on "Bugler's Holiday" and
"Stars & Stripes Forever."

Does anybody recognize it from this description?  If not, I
invite you to visit

           http://goon.org/mystery/

and give it a listen.  The guy who found it is a clarinetist and
bandleader in Michigan who admires the excellent clarinet playing
on the recording and would like to know who it is.  The
clarinetist's first name evidently is Bob, as he's spoken to in
"What a Little Moonlight Can Do."

Thanks in advance...

--
   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
               dickbkr@goon.org