[Dixielandjazz] Jim Snyder

briantowers briantowers@msn.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:41:42 -0500

What a sad year it has been for losing great jazz musicians, both in North
America and in the U.K.

I have always been a great admirer of Jim Snyder's way of playing the
trombone - there was a man who knew the most effective way for a trombone to
play in an ensemble.  He knew how to use his slide and how to get that
brassy sound that I like.   He played with "balls".

Jim was an individual player but one who respected the great traditions of
our music.  I have a recording by his "Georgia Grinders" playing a tribute
to the legendary New Orleans trombonist Roy Palmer.  The playing and
musicianship is superb on this recording and reflects his
dedication to the roots of OKOM.   Maybe he and Frank Powers will get
together again in the "Celestial Stompers"  and keep up that good time jazz!

I did not know him personally, unfortunately, but heard him play on the
festival circuit.   Ironically I was out of the country during the only
visit of Jim Snyder and the South Frisco Jazz band to Toronto.  Luckily a
friend taped the evening for me for me to hear on my return.

"He made it talk and made it sing,
Oh! lawdy how he played that thing! "

Vive le tailgate!

Brian Towers,