[Dixielandjazz] Mouthpieces are personal?

Elazar Brandt jazzmin@actcom.net.il
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 22:54:12 +0200

Hi Phil,

Actually we supply ice cream spoons, which are harder to lose down the gutter.
We've tried letting people use thimbles, but we don't have enough different
sizes for their fingers, and it takes to long to get it all figured out. Good
way to make an audience disappear. The spoons work fine for "amateurs" anyway,
and some of them do quite a good job.

My young partner who is now playing banjo with me did once lose his kazoo down a
gutter. Since he's playing banjo and kazoo at the same time, he's got no free
hands to get rid of the thing when he's done, so he "spits it out" aiming for
his gig bag. But one time he missed, and it dropped down a sewer drain. He had
to run to the nearby music store and get another one during the break. Now we
need to find some of those neck things that hold harmonicas and kazoos and
whatnot, so we won't lose our whatnots in the future.

Elazar