[Dixielandjazz] Funerals / Memorial Services

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:56:07 -0500

Just returned from a last minute gig at a memorial gathering for Bob
Burdette. He was a a well known track and field person here in
Philadelphia. Had been with the Penn Relays for 51 years, a noted coach,
Olympic official, etc., etc., etc.

He passed away 2 weeks ago and this memorial was for all the friends he
had in the Philadelphia sports world. It was held at Franklin Field, the
University of Pennsylvania's stadium where the Penn  Relays are held
annually and the University football games take place. (Seats 30,000)

He was a New Orleans Jazz Fan and had requested a New Orleans send-off
which Barbone Street, with Tuba, Banjo rhythm  + the usual four others
provided. About 400 people attended

The highlight, after an hour indoors in the field house, was an outdoor
parade around the track at Franklin Field. We led the attendees on one
lap around, under the lights. Everybody enjoyed it, and Bob Burdette got
his proper send off. We did our lap in 8 minutes, 11 seconds which, we
were told,  is now the track record for New Orleans Jazz Bands at
Franklin Field.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone