Fw: Fw: [Dixielandjazz] test

Ron L'Herault lherault@bu.edu
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:03:33 -0500

OKOM means Our Kind Of Music, a  short hand, umbrella term meaning slightly
different things to different members of the list.  If you like New Orleans
Jazz better than West Coast style, OKOM is N. O. jazz and so on.

If you want to learn to improvise, I would recommend listening to New
Orleans players such as Bunk Johnson.  They tended to play closer to the
melody, with improvisation done with timing and tonal color changes.  If you
can hear a tune and whistle it, you should be able to learn how to
improvise.   Can you play "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" as a waltz, without
music in front of you?   If you can, then try to play it in four.    Mostly,
listen to and play along with records.  Have fun, and remember, the above is
my take on how to improvise.  It is more like an opinion, and you know about
those 8-).

Ron L
----- Original Message -----
From: <BDZeiger@aol.com>
To: <cellblk7@attbi.com>; <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Fw: [Dixielandjazz] test

> Thanks, Bob! I've already learned a lot by reading other posts, and I'm
excited about learning more.
> Now - where is the best place to start? I am a "legit" trumpet player who
has dabbled in jazz in the past, but primarily as a lead or section player
in a big band. I've never really had call to learn to improvise as every
band I played in had a good improviser in the section.
> I listen a lot to Jim Cullum out of San Antonio and am awed by what he
does.
> There is no Dixieland style band here in Huntsville Alabama where I live
and work, so, other than starting a band with other guys who know as much or
less than me, how do I develop this style?