[Dixielandjazz] Wally Rose plays 'the Pearls' in 1952

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 22:03:06 EST

--part1_14e.185d21aa.2b22beea_boundary

>     Wally Rose...when I was stationed in the military in Frisco, 1952, I
> started making the rounds seeking names that I already knew.  Rose was one
> I KNew from Bob Scobey's new recordings and I found him playing single in a
> nice little place.  I went in, with my uniform on so , usually they
> wouldn't ask for proof of age.  I sat down , ordered a drink and was
> enjoying Wally. I was still very naive and green. I wanted to show Wally
> that I knew something about this music and I asked him if he would play
> "the Pearls."  He gave me a funny look and said, "I Just got through
> playing the Pearls."  The classic ernest but naive jazz fan faux pax.  How
> many times have I played the 'Muskrat Ramble' only to have a customer come
> up and ask for it.

   JIm Beebe

--part1_14e.185d21aa.2b22beea_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Wally Rose...when I was stationed in the military in Frisco, 1952, I started making the rounds seeking names that I already knew.&nbsp; Rose was one I KNew from Bob Scobey's new recordings and I found him playing single in a nice little place.&nbsp; I went in, with my uniform on so , usually they wouldn't ask for proof of age.&nbsp; I sat down , ordered a drink and was enjoying Wally. I was still very naive and green. I wanted to show Wally that I knew something about this music and I asked him if he would play "the Pearls."&nbsp; He gave me a funny look and said, "I Just got through playing the Pearls."&nbsp; The classic ernest but naive jazz fan faux pax.&nbsp; How many times have I played the 'Muskrat Ramble' only to have a customer come up and ask for it.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_14e.185d21aa.2b22beea_boundary--