[Dixielandjazz] Starting A Band - Looking for Advice

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 19:44:11 -0500

"Asher Ross" <tubasaur@hotmail.com> wrote:

"I'm a Freshman at the University of Delaware, and after years of
listening to great tuba based dixieland jazz groups like the Dixie Power
Trio I'm finally starting a band of my own.

I was just wondering if there were any tips on arranging pieces, how
much should of the little fills and things should I leave to the
musicians?  More simply put, how much arranging is over arranging?

Hi Asher:

Stop, by the Iron Hill Brewery in MEDIA PA, on Friday, December 20 after
9:30 PM. The Barbone Street Jazz Band will be there playing OKOM, but
with a string bass, not a tuba. However, I would be happy to spend some
time with you talking about how to set up your band, and you'll see/hear
the most popular Dixieland Band on the East Coast. That's IHB Media PA,
not the one in Newark Delaware. We won't have a band there till Fat
Tuesday (March 4), though that one may use a tuba.

Visit http://home.earthlink.net/~barbonestreet/. Click on schedule to
see where we are playing near Newark DE or Philadelphia etc. Come on by,
say hello, give a listen and if you feel comfortable with the brand of
Dixieland we play, sit in for a number. The market for Dixieland around
Philadelphia and Newark Delaware is large and profitable. Come on in,
say hello, sit in, and we'll talk about how to get your band going.

Or contact me about Tex Wyndham and his Red Lion Jazz Band, based in
Mendenhall PA. He rehearses often, using a bass sax on the bass line,
but you would be welcome to sit in, and chat with him/us. Rehearsals are
Tuesday nights when Tex is in town.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
Leader / Clarinet Barbone Street Jazz Band

PS. Or stop by the 23rd Street Armory in Phila (23rd Street, just North
of Chestnut, between it and Ranstead St.). Tomorrow night (Sat). We'll
be there from 10 PM till 2 AM. Just tell them you are with the band, It
is a private party for a group of students from the University of
Pennsylvania. Dress is Jacket & Tie. We'll be mixing Dixieland with
Swing. Audience age 19 to 24, and they expect about 150 couples.