[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ace In The Hole

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:25:47 -0000

I don't know why but I've always disliked this tune. However, I agree with
Bob Ringwald when he says :

"One big mistake many musicians make is on the bridge.  In the key of F, the
 bridge goes to a G7 for a measure & then to C for one measure.  Then back
 G7 for 4 measures.  You can insert a g fl5 on the last 2 beats of the last
 G7 measure.  Then C7 for 2 measures."

This must be the most boring bridge in the whole of the jazz pantheon, I
usually insert a couple of passing chords to keep myself awake :
G7 C G7/Gdim G7 G7/Gdim G7 Gm7/Cdim C7/C7+

You don't have to tell me, I know I'm just a dirty bopper.

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net