[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ace In The Hole

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:46:15 -0800

On Tue Dec 3, Bob Romans asks the following:

> Big discussions and knock-down-drag-out fights in CB7 over the "proper"
> chords to AITHole...does anyone have the original chords? Or is it OK to
> substitute what we think sounds better?? How faithful must one be the the
> composers intentions?

Bob Ringwald says,

In my (not so) humble opinion:

You do not always have to be faithful to the composers intentions.  However,
any changes you do make, should be in good taste.

The best thing to do is to listen to a recording of the composer playing his
own tune.  That is a really good start.

Secondly, listen to a really good band playing that tune.

You can not always count on sheet music as often music has been simplified
for general consumption.

Also, lots of musicians who put out fake books, insert different (and often)
wrong chords.

 In the matter of "Ace In The Hole," I would play it the way Bob Scoby plays
it.  Turk Murphy also played it the same way as does Bob Schulz & Scott
Anthony.  You can not go wrong there.

One big mistake many musicians make is on the bridge.  In the key of F, the
bridge goes to a G7 for a measure & then to C for one measure.  Then back to
G7 for 4 measures.  You can insert a g fl5 on the last 2 beats of the last
G7 measure.  Then C7 for 2 measures.

Lots of musicians stay in G7 on the 2nd measure of the bridge & do not go to
C7.  But the C7 should be the 2nd measure of the bridge.

Is this where the bone of contention is?  Or is it on the 3rd measure of the
tune?  Some people play Gm & some play Bf.

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA  USA